Paradiso Canto 18
Jane Kim is an Assistant Professor of Classics in the Torrey Honors College at Biola University. She is an expert on the influence of Dante’s poetic theology on British Romantic conceptions of the poet and poetry.
Questions for Reflection
- How does Dante understand Beatrice’s eyes in relation to the beauty of paradise (18.13-21)? Why does Beatrice insist that Dante witness Paradise outside of her eyes?
- How can someone tell that they are growing in virtue (58-60)?
- How do the souls at Jupiter arrange themselves (18.88-99)? What virtue is represented in this heaven? Why does Dante depict this virtue with an eagle (18.106ff)?
- LOVE JUSTICE YOU WHO GOVERN THE EARTH (18.91-93). Why do you think that the love of justice is so important for proper governing?
- What does Dante mean when he says “Now wars are fought withholding here and there the bread our loving Father keeps from none” (18.128-129)? How might this be related to justice?
- Dr. Jane Kim
- Torrey Honors College
- Run Time 7:53